Ankleshwar - Leap of Faith

I should embark on this journey with an open heart and mind. Will I be strong enough for the physical side of the journey and uninhibited enough to relax and enjoy something new? I am going somewhere really different, but I take along the same me. Maybe I will be smarter, thinner, softer, harder, and more alive.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

MONKEY

I spotted my first Monkey on the way back to the hotel from work last evening. He was hanging out under a parked truck, a rhesus monkey. He just stared at me, bouncing along in the mini van.
Life at the hotel is different from the guest house, more formal, but also a little more comfortable/western and probably better suited for me. I had dinner last night in the restaurant, with a colleague from the plant and I was able to get some local dish that was not so spicy. It was actually quite good, green peas and some minty greens in a cream sauce, and buttered Nam bread for scooping. As we started dinner I noticed out the window, in the throng of pedestrians and traffic, Muslim men in white tunics all hurrying in one direction. Then we began to hear the prayer songs from the mosque that must be right next door to the hotel, it was very clear and strong. It was sunset.

The grounds at the plant where I am working have some beautiful and exotic vegetation. I will try to see if I will be allowed to take some pictures. There are men clipping, tending and sweeping the grounds all day long. Sweeping, both outside for leaves and clippings, and inside for office floors is done using a 1 foot long bundle of wispy vegetation, tied together, with the sweeper person bent over at the waist, one hand on the small of the back, and one hand to the ground with the "broom". It is very graceful, but looks like it must be very tiring.
While walking from one building at work to another, I noticed an unusual set-up on an overhand over a door, it was a good size rock with a rope tied to it and the rope hanging over the side of the overhang. As I got closer I saw that the rope was tied around a flower pot on the ground, and the rope itself was being used as a trellis for a climbing plant. Ingenious.
At work, it has become clear now, that I cannot manage the spicy food for lunch. So each day they send to the hotel for boiled mixed vegetables and rice for me to eat. I really appreciate the effort and the kindness to my digestion. I eat an American or maybe it is called a British breakfast of eggs and toast, the special lunch, and then I can eat regular local cuisine for dinner.

So in a few minutes I will hop in the mini van, music blaring, and bounce through dusty but interesting streets to work. Some streets are not paved and in all cases we drive on either side of the road, whichever works for rapid forward motion.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't say whether or not the monkey scared you. How did you feel seeing it? Love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete