Ankleshwar - Leap of Faith

I should embark on this journey with an open heart and mind. Will I be strong enough for the physical side of the journey and uninhibited enough to relax and enjoy something new? I am going somewhere really different, but I take along the same me. Maybe I will be smarter, thinner, softer, harder, and more alive.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

A little kettle of lentils for the infirm


So how has it been going, you ask...
Work has been great, I have enjoyed it very much. Each day I bounce to work in the car and each day I return to the hotel. I really cannot venture out of the hotel, so I am either in the car, at work, or in the hotel. But I staying very busy and that is good.
The unfortunate thing that has happened is that my digestive system has totally given up. At first I thought it was the spicy food, but now I think that my western body has met an organism that it can not handle. The cipro tablets have been started. Meanwhile, it is difficult to decide what to eat that will actually stay with me. Tonight's dinner was a little kettle of lentil soup, called Dal Bukhara, described in the menu as a "traditional all time favorite black lentils cooked overnight on tandoor and finished with a butter cream swirl". This came by way of a room service tray, along with nam bread. You dish the lentils out of the kettle in to a ridiculously little bowl with a large spoon, then dip the nam bread in like a scoop and eat. Also arriving on the tray were two canned cokes. Yea!

So far, what are the most treasured things that I packed for the trip, you ask...
I would have to say the bar of hand-made soap given to me by a friend, the silk sleep sack, the deet insect repellent cream, my kindle and this blog which was lovingly created by my daughter for me to use, to write, and to stay in touch. Thank you sweet daughter.

So how is the weather... (you are tired of asking, i know)
The monsoon is upon us and serious puddling has started. Some times it drizzles, some times it is a torrent. The roadside grasses are green and the flowers and trees at work are beautiful. I saw several egrets on the lawn at work, they were beige and orange tan in color. Also, there is some bird, or I think it is a bird, that comes to the fire escape near my room each night at dusk and makes the strangest sound. My husband said it is a monkey, but he is just teasing me, I know it must be a tropical bird of some sort, and a large one because it is quite load.
Today is Saturday, and normally I would go in to work, but I am staying in the hotel today, still feeling a little green. I will also be here Sunday, go to work on Monday, then off to the airport on Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, feel better. You are handling your adventure with such grace. We had a bird like that in our courtyard in Paris. It turned out to be a big crow type bird with a very loud call. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to send you a message and beg for an update! I am loving your blog. I am also relieved that you are enjoying your work, because that makes a big difference on your state of mind while there.

    Maybe next trip you need to take along a night time hobby to work on (besides the required blog updates!) maybe some knitting or sewing or something to keep you busy.

    Do you remember when you filled my Nigerian bag suitcase with packs of Oreos? Maybe you need to bring some more tummy friendly food next time for those green feeling days. Packs of souped and stuff. Are you allowed to do that? I almost got arrested in Nigeria for those oreos!

    You should be proud of yourself for staying strong. You have done well on this trip!

    Love Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing fabulously! Request a menu for when you get home and we can deliver country, home cooking whenever you feel up to it. *hugs*

    T~

    ReplyDelete