Ankleshwar - Leap of Faith

I should embark on this journey with an open heart and mind. Will I be strong enough for the physical side of the journey and uninhibited enough to relax and enjoy something new? I am going somewhere really different, but I take along the same me. Maybe I will be smarter, thinner, softer, harder, and more alive.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Arriving in Mumbai

The plane ride was long, but comfortable. The layflat seats recently installed on the route from NJ to Mumbai made the trip a lot easier. I ate some airline food with flavors and spices I do not recognize.
OK, the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel was a little scary. I paid for the taxi inside, then found the correct taxi, license plate number; The driver about had a strain putting my suitcase up on the roof rack. I think men around the world think the women pack too much!!

Then we embarked on a drive of sorts through some extremely dark streets, full of pot holes, leaking water pipes, puddles of mud and twists and turns. We had to stop once so the taxi driver can go up to some little stand and check the paperwork with ??? somebody. While he was doing this women were trying to talk to me through the window, all the taxi windows were open or not there.

We passed buildings that were being torn down or abandoned, very dark and scary. Increadible contruction on the road, holes and drop offs that were pretty spectacular. You would think some of the pot holes would swallow up the little scooter/rickshaw taxis.

Arriving at the Hyatt Hotel we had to go through a full bomb check of the car and driver They even ran their glove around the steering wheel. Then before I entered the hotel I went through a scanner, and my luggage was xrayed.

The room is excellent, and I have about 4 hours to shower and snooze. I will snack on the fritos and cheese I brought from the lounge at Newark airport.

Tomorrow the flight to Vadadora!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the lead in from a James Bond Movie
    jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did your taxi actually have seats in it? haha. I've seen some in Peru that didn't. Glad you made it part of the way in one piece. Awaiting your next update!

    Love,

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete